Steve Robertson and his wife Cheryl have lived in Horry County since 1973. The couple, residents of Conway, recently celebrated their 48th wedding anniversary.
After establishing his first paper, the Horry Independent in 1980, Steve went on to publish six more newspapers serving Horry County before recently retiring to run for the S.C. House of Representatives District 105. This is the first public office he has sought.
A graduate of Coastal Carolina University, Steve has served as president of the S.C. Press Association, chairman of the Horry County Recreation Commission, president of the Conway Lions Club and president of the Grand Strand Press Association. He also served on the Horry County Red Cross board of directors.
He is a member of Trinity United Methodist Church in Conway.
Steve is also a member of the Conway Chamber of Commerce, the Loris Chamber of Commerce and the Conway Lions Club.
His son, Stephen, was recently named publisher. Stephen and his wife Adrian have three children: Caroline, Kayleigh and Carleigh. They attend public schools in Conway.
Steve's daughter, T.J., teaches physical education at Kingston Elementary School.
• Recipient of the Conway Chamber of Commerce "Man of the Year"
• American Legion Post 111 Distinguished Citizens Award
• Conway Lion of the Year
• Coastal Carolina University Entrepreneur of the Year
• President of the S.C. Press Association
• More than 100 writing and editing awards from the S.C. Press Association
• Gauff/Thompson Journalist of the Year
• Recipient of the S.C. Press Association's Freedom of Information Award (three times)
• Loris Bog-off Champion Cook
Waccamaw Publishers Newspapers
• The Horry Independent
• The Loris Scene
• The News & Shopper
• The Carolina Forest Chronicle
• The Myrtle Beach Herald
• The North Strand News
• An Illustrated History of Horry County Vol. 1
• An Illustrated History of Horry County Vol. 2
• An illustrated History of Myrtle Beach
• An Illustrated History of Aynor
• SMALLS: The South wanted his head. The North his heart. (Novel)
(Read an excerpt here)